Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Spell Of A Prayer

Rough draft copy. 'Shall possibly be spruced up, but since it is only three minutes or so old, Here's the "off the head(out the mind) version:

In the light of things, I’m not the only one whose feet caught up beneath
Enamored by the consequence, They sealed the papers within a cell.
She drank, He shot, Armed to the chest but not their teeth
Burning each page alive, They tried, but nothing can fade a spell.
Yeah, the branches were sore and couldn’t brace a bird
The ground stubborn, caving in, no plains or mountains anymore
The oceans over risen, the preacher fooled his word
I tore the walls and frames and sides down, No shelter, space or door.


A thousand towns all sinking, though many could simply not tell
Burning themselves alive, they tried, but could not fade the spell.
Yes, I saw myself in the mirror without a face
I looked on down a thousand yards into the wishing well.
Unmarked prayers and consequence all thrown in with an attached buck
Some wanted love, some death, and healing while some just wanted a fuck.
The skins of tattered faces floated alongside each petty retort
I tried to smile but couldn’t, because I don’t believe in luck.

The stars still shined while Alabama sunk in
Kansas drifted downward so far
I picked up the phone to dial the congressman
But his brain was stuffed into a jar
My feet were damp, and getting sore
My shoulders becoming worn from the flames
I tried to find boots and an overcoat
But the only bargain was a soul, what a shame.

A dangling key straddled the clouds,
But nobody’s hands could dare reach
Some charged for seminars upon where to get the best ladder
Others searched for faces to keep.
Grains of sand blew beyond billboards in the rough
I asked “Is this heaven or hell?”
I passed a sign surrounded by barbed wire
“ATTEMPT: You cannot fade the spell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment