Saturday, November 22, 2008

Half-Attentive Corpse

This is a preview to a short story I am working on every now and then, entitled "Half Attentive Corpse."

Half-Attentive Corpse In The Back Seat
[unfinished, uncertain to ever be finished]
by Leemonster. 10/2008.

She came up to me and said “Lee, You look like shit.” I said “Well, thank you, But I just want to play piano, God Damnit..” “Plus, If you had a Soul, I’m quite sure it would be just as devastating as your perception of me” I reclaimed. How sure could I be about how she knew my name, or whether she was just some girl with the same name as I, and just overanalyzing her appearance in verbal self-reflection? Well holy shit, either way.. I tapped one key with my index finger and sipped grape juice from the straw. I’m not here to entertain or talk to people, and she may not have talked to me, But I stared her in the eyes through my round edged shades, and as she knew I was looking at her, she sat down next to me and started nibbling on my ear. “Leee… Leeeee!

LEEEE!”… “HUGH!?, What!?” “LEEEE!! Watch the fucking road!” Holy shit! I flip the high beams on and wiped underneath my eyelids with one hand, adjusting out of my dream and going back into what was labeled as reality. I don’t know how these freaks got into my car, but they were there. One in the front seat, passenger, and one in the back.. well kind of; Head rag full of blood and… conscious? Possibly. I knew one for a while, and as for the half attentive corpse in the back seat, well he was unknown until tonight, just after making introduction and deciding it to be a wise idea to see how far one can go barefoot down an ice frosted porch carrying in each hand a cat carrier containing obese felines. The cats were fine, but he ended up--- well, as the head rag full of blood in the back seat. And I don’t even know this town, and Ernie, to my right, is awful at explaining directions. Try going three nights without sleep, trying to make it to the hospital, let alone none of us having any form of ID on us, and tons of swerving going on between the luckily empty yet icy road lanes. Surprisingly, no police had pulled us over, probably due to football reruns airing all night. We made it to the hospital finally, after constantly wiping fog off the inside of the window with my fingertips and hearing inaudible noises that seemed to be coming from that half attentive corpse in the back seat. “Iuuuwwwwaathhh, mmerrrrrRRHHhhhhh. Diiidwhhhee gheeet too the plaaay sshhh yet?????” “Huh!?” I asked. “It’ll be alright buddy. We just got here” Ernie said, opening up his door as we both got out, and he grabbed half attentive corpse’s legs while I slipped bandanas around my hands, grabbing his shoulders as we lugged him into the emergency center like two Chihuahuas carrying a piano up a mountain on their backs.

Probably one of the only qualities of rushing a barefooted man with a massive head wound into a shoddy hospital is that you can actually whiz right by all of that “How’s the weather?” bullshit and be able to just get straight to business.. Well, Sort of. “Holy shit! What the hell happened to him?” “him? Him!? Well, he’s had a hard life. Short supply of paper towels as a kid, Mother never loved hi---” “--No, You idiot!” Ernie shouted. “Oh, She wasn’t asking about you? Oh, Oh!! Himmmm… He fell down the iced-up stairs. ‘Been bleeding ever sense… I think, umm... I think he might not be well.” I blurted. The walls were stained yellow, with traditional brick walls and now, red flooring. A stretcher came out and took ‘ol half attentive corpse in the.. Hospital stretcher away, Thus beginning the loveliness of what is known as hospital waiting room trauma… Something, that unlike many injuries, cannot and probably will not ever be something to recover from. Ernie stood by the chilly doorway, with winds blowing inside to where I was sitting, annoyingly asking me if I wanted a cigarette, and then proceeding to the leaf covered wonderland outside, Knowing damn well that I can’t smoke because it’s impossible for me to seem to get addicted. I just lay there in the plastic and cushioned chair as poor half attentive corpse in the hospital bed lay there either dead or with shots jabbing into his arms, I.V.s circulating goo into his body and an even dizzier state of mind from all the painkillers dousing through that poor red head. My palm was attacked by my eager to rest head falling down against it, crammed into the waiting room chair with a piece of bread filling my stomach, as a shiny bald headed, middle aged man with various moles on his forehead and glasses in his hand occasionally glanced over at me, as I continuously yawned and my eyes closed shut like horizontal elevator doors. “Whatever happened to wearing shoes” I thought. And “Why the hell did he carry two cats at once?” The blurriness proceeded and all those dick headed questions seemed less prominent.

“It’s your turn to ride the kangaroo” “It is? Alright!! But when it turns purple you’re not going to like me very well.” “That’s completely understandable… Now Ready, Set… Go!” The line of kangaroos took off.. I clenched onto it’s back, wearing my red helmet and looking over to the competitors beside me, all riding different colored kangaroos and trying to joust me off with their wiffle ball bats. “Giddyup!!” Yah! Move on!” I encouraged the kangaroo, heading down the trail. “We can’t lose this one, The bets are up, the stakes are high!”... “Nooo, No, don’t tip!!! Fuck, we’re sinking, is this quicksand!!? I can’t believe I’m gonna lose!” “I can’t.. "

“You can’t lose what??” It was Ernie.. Back from his cig fix and baring with him the juvelescent cold outside air. “Ernie!!! What the hell!?” I woke up, finding myself sideways, halfway laid against the floor, Fallen prey to the lack of rest once again. “Oh… Just some.. I passed out again. How’s he doing in the room?” I asked. “Might be a few hours.. Granted they don’t fuck up and replace his eyeballs with goldfish or something” Ernie stated. The shiny bald headed man leers over at us above his opened up magazine rag with a disapproving look, as we stare back in an awkward state and then proceed out to the car in the parking lot, as I pierce my hands into the under flaps of my jacket trying to avoid the dry cold air. “Fuck! Look at how sauced up the seats are!” I immediately said, throwing my arm against the side bar of the backseat door. “Well it could be a lot worse” Ernie said. “We could have gotten pulled over.. The cats could have gotten out.. It could have been daytime.. A bear could have attacked us…” “Okay, Ernie! I get it, It could’ve gotten more fucked.. But, Fuck! This is fucked!” Fuck, this was fucked! And now all I could do is wait for half attentive corpse in the hospital bed to become half attentive freak in the head cast, and until then, get some rest.


[To be continued??]

No comments:

Post a Comment